The Historic Nutt House Hotel
Located directly on the Historic Downtown Square in Granbury, Texas, this one of a kind structure was built of hand-hewn Texas limestone and east Texas cypress wood in 1893 by brothers Jacob, Jesse and David Lee Nutt, The Historic Nutt House Hotel occupies the site of their original log and stone mercantile store. It was on this very spot that these forward thinking and industrious brothers Jacob and Jesse, both of whom were blind from late childhood, began operating their general store in 1871, originally beginning trade from a tent. David Lee, was the much younger brother of Jacob and Jesse and served as their "eyes" in the mercantile business from the time he was twelve.
In 1879 David and his wife Sudie, built a home only a couple of blocks down the street from the store, where they provided lodging for the mercantile suppliers, as they had no other place to stay while visiting Granbury on their business trips. After offering visitors many years of hospitality within the their own residence, the family decided to convert the open second floor of the enlarged mercantile building into a hotel. The Nutt House Hotel officially opened in 1910, with ten guest rooms, and two luxurious separate baths for both women and men. This incredible building has served as the "Premier Lodging," on the Granbury square ever since! This inviting and rustic hotel now features seven uniquely different luxury suites, each with its own expansive spa-like bath. It also has a Grand Sitting Room for it's guests to enjoy, and countless original architectural features still remain intact, such as the original Grand Staircase, and the authenticated room key holder from 1910! The gorgeous original doors to the ten rooms are a feast for the eyes as well. This preserved and beloved gem, is the Grand Old Lady of the Granbury square, and joyously continues to welcome folks from both far and near to Granbury, with all of it's charm and warmth. The Nutt House Hotel encapsulates all the authenticity and ambiance of the past, as well as the customary comforts of the present! Breakfast is provided daily, with the purchase of your room reservation.
In the mid 1850's members of the Nutt Family arrived in what is now the Granbury area. They first set up several farmsteads, and in 1871 on this site, blind brothers Jacob and Jesse Nutt started a mercantile business. In the earliest days, they used a tent to house their wares, but quickly erected a log and stone building which served as the store headquarters for many years. They were assisted by their younger, sighted brother, David Lee Nutt. In 1879, David and his wife, Sudie, built a new house just two blocks down the street. Soon they were using part of the house as a hotel to accomodate business associates. This continued for many years, and the Nutt's even added a wing on to the house to give more rooms. The town-folk began to refer to their home as the NUTT HOUSE HOTEL! (The home is still there today, and houses the Bridge Street History Museum.)Learn More
Sign Up Today
Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to learn about our seasonal promotions and special deals.
By clicking "Sign Up" I agree to the Terms of Service.
We strive to provide an exceptional level of service for every guest, and are proud to have a 4.5-star rating on TripAdvisor.View Reviews